Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Great Kitchen Debate ...


We've been struggling to come up with a decent kitchen design lately. This past weekend my parents came up from p-town with my grandma and my aunt and uncle who live in naperville came out and we all sat down and played with some kitchen schemes for fun. It got a bit out of hand, as committees often do (smirk) and of course, no solid design came out of it but it was fun. What we do know is we're going to combine the current kitchen and the bedroom backing up to it into one large approximately 17 x 11 room, but beyond that, we seem to be lost. As you'll see when you click on the link above, we have come up with an idea or two. But none that really seem to combine the space well. I want it to flow together, feel natural. But with no less than three doors and two windows in the space, it's hard not see it all choppy. much as I want to be, I'm SO not a whiz at this design thing. You need an ad? I'm your woman. Looking for a logo? Call me. But designing living spaces? Not so much my game.

Above is a sketch of the generic layout of the room - or at least how it will be once the wall down the middle is gone. We can't afford to build out or up - neither would work in terms of money or dealing with the EV. Maybe someone out there in blogland will have a suggestion that will amaze and astonish and save us the continued agony! I'd even be willing to trade some graphic or web design services for kitchen design services. We just need help!

In the meantime, I found a cooktop secondhand, so I know the ktichen will require a 30" cooktop and separate oven.

Can't wait to hear from the blogosphere ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you still going with the gathering space idea or just want a whole ktichen?

Anonymous said...

Still totally want the gathering space for people to hang out (we have people over a lot) but kind of decided against the extra family roomish feel because the space didn't seem large enough (wide enough) to really accommodate that kind of heavy multimedia usage. So what we want to do is tie the space together with an informal seating area (breakfast bar? smallish table? dunno) to accommodate small meals, hanging out and that could serve as additional work space.

But there will be a TV. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My name is Jennifer Saranow and I'm a reporter with The Wall Street Journal in New York. I came across your blog and some of the posts fit into a story I'm working on. I would love to set up a time this week to interview you for the story. Look forward to hearing from you and really appreciate the help.
Best,
Jennifer
212-416-4184
jennifer.saranow@wsj.com