Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Soy foam in a can!

In a fit of early spring cleaning, I recently decided to clear out the basement utility room, and rearranging our old kitchen cabinets and fridge. These had really just been haphazardly thrown in place when we gutted the old Humphrey House kitchen last fall. Maybe it was a winter fit, but the fact that the fridge blocked a window and most of the natural light in the room had become too much for me.

One item on the cleaning list was to visit various hardware stores and take back the assorted excess building materials we had accumulated during our fall frenzy of remodeling. I realized it was quite pathetic and time to take action when my "to be returned" pile started needing overflow storage bins.

One of the return visits involved a trip to Home Depot. I've dreaded the return process here after learning they restrict the number of times you can return items without a receipt in a given year. I found out the hard way after returning a plumbing coupling for a measly $1.31 a few years ago, and being told I couldn't return anything for a year. Fortunately, this time I actually had more receipts than I expected, and the returns went painlessly. But, since some items were purchased so long ago, they gave me in-store credit instead of a refund.

I somehow fought off a strangely magnetic pull to wander the store and spend my newly found "in store credit" and headed for the exits. I know that once the thaws come, we will be making plenty of trips as the growing season begins.

On my way past the checkout aisles, I glanced at one of the end-aisle displays for Great Stuff. Ever since I've become more energy-conscious (and air-draft dodging), I've found that it's always good to have a can of this around (bonus: it's an adhesive better than duct tape!) As I glanced at the sale prices, my eye was suddenly drawn to a new item in the display next to my trusty red and yellow cans: Soy seal. I had to do a double-take from my surprise.

Apparently, the manufacturers of the same soy foam we have in our walls, now make it available in canned spray form for do-it-yourself use in sealing cracks and holes. I think the Soy Seal was like $1.50 more expensive per can than Great Stuff was (both were on "sale" on the end aisle display). And, they carried both "Gaps and Cracks" as well as "Windows and Doors" versions of the foam. I was surprised to see the low-expanding Windows and Doors can was actually closed-cell foam, and not open-celled foam (yes, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to this stuff).

Since I already have a few cans of Great Stuff waiting to be used, I did not any, but it was certainly shocking to see Soy seal foam in my local big-box retailer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to forget that Monsanto controls most of the soy grown in the world, including the seeds, which, of course, are genetically modified. So that every time you buy anything with soy in it, you're putting money in Monsanto's bank account. Arghhh!

Gina

jay said...

Gina, you make a fair point. Considering trade-offs is important when looking at decisions from a sustainability point of view. But the fact that there are increasingly more choices available out there for people to choose from is encouraging.

Anonymous said...

Great to see that soy based expanding foam is now available as an alternative. Thanks for the info Jay. I'll definitely be looking for this next time I need a can!

Anonymous said...

I actually saw this at Home Depot last week for $4.66 - which was about $0.50 cents cheaper than the can of Great Stuff it was sitting next to!

Anonymous said...

Did this company go under? The website for them is gone.

John said...

discount oakley sunglasses
ugg boots sale
mlb jerseys
cheap nike shoes
james shoes
adidas superstars
ray ban sunglasses outlet
jordan retro
polo ralph lauren
tiffany jewelry
2017213yuanyuan